terça-feira, 21 de setembro de 2021

For whom the bell tolls : Hemingway


"(...) and lying back on the floor of the forest he saw through the tree tops the small afternoon clouds of the mountains moving slowly in the high Spanish sky."

"If there were God, never would He have permitted what I have seen with my eyes."

"Clearly I miss Him, having been brought up in religion. But now a man must be responsible to himself."

"But with or without God, I think it is a sin to kill."

"But in weakness a man can be a great danger."

"(...) the shadows of the Heinkels moving over the land as the shadows of sharks pass over sandy floor of the ocean."

"The sadness will dissipate as the sun rises. It is like a mist."

"I put great illusion in the Republic. I believe firmly in the Republic and I have faith. I believe in it with fervor as those who have religious faith believe in the mysteries."

"I suppose it is possible to live as full a life in seventy hours as in seventy years (...)."

"There is nothing else than now. There is neither yesterday, certainly, nor is there any tomorrow. (...) There is only now, and if now is only two days, than two days is your life and everything in it will be in proportion."

"But are there not many fascists in your country?
There are many who do not know they are fascists but will find it out when the time comes. 
But you cannot destroy them until they rebel? 
No, Robert Jordan said. We cannot destroy them. But we can educate the people so that they will fear fascism and recognize it as it appears and combat it."

"In politics and this other the first thing is to continue to exist."

"I suffer for others."

"There is no finer and no worse people in the world. No kinder people and no crudeler. And who understands them? Not me, because if I did I would forgive it all. To understand is to forgive."

"How little we know of what there is to know. I wish that I were going to live a long time instead of going to die today because I have learned much about life in these four days; more, I think, than in all the other time."

"The dew had wet him and the forest floor was soft and he felt the give of the brown, dropped pine needles under his elbows. Below he saw, through the light mist that rose from the stream bed, the steel of the bridge, straight and rigid across the gap, with the wooden sentry boxes at each end. But as he looked the structure of the bridge was still spidery and fine in the mist that hung over the stream."

"But there was no lift or any excitement in his heart. That was all gone and there was nothing but a calmness." 

(For Whom the Bell Tolls. Ernest Hemingway)

Nenhum comentário: